Professor & Center Director, CATS, Mechanical Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering
Daniel F. Walczyk, Ph.D., PE is a Professor of Mechanical Engineering in the Department of Mechanical , Aerospace, and Nuclear Engineering and also Associate Director of Manufacturing for the Center of Automation Technologies and Systems. He received a B.S. from Syracuse University in 1986, a M.S. from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1991, a P.E. License from New York State in 1994 and a Ph.D. from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1996, all in mechanical engineering. Prior to his graduate work, Dr. Walczyk worked for seven years industry, primarily with the GE, as a mechanical design engineer. Since becoming an academic in January 1996, he has received several awards and honors including a DAAD Fellowship (1995), NSF Faculty Early CAREER Development Award (1998), Loctite Corporation Summer Engineering Faculty Fellowship (1998), and a Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers (1999), SAE Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award in the Aerospace Category (2000), and ASME Fellow (2011). He is also a holder of five U.S. patents and two pending.
Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Rapid Tooling
- Environmentally Conscious Design
- Machine Design
- Walczyk, D. and Kuppers, J., “Thermal Press Curing of Advanced Thermoset Composites,” Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing (In Press).
- Walczyk, D., Kuppers, J. and Hoffman, C., “Curing and Consolidation of Advanced Thermoset Composite Laminate Parts by Pressing Between a Heated Mold and Customized Rubber-Faced Mold,” J. Manuf. Sci. Eng., Volume 133, Issue 1, February 2011, 011002 (7 pages).
- Walczyk, D.F. and Sangra, J.S., “A Feasibility Study of Ribbon Architecture for PEM Fuel Cells,” ASME Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, Vol 7, No. 5, Oct. 2010, pp. 051001-1–8.
- Harris, T.A.L., Walczyk, D.F., and Weber, M., “Manufacturing of High-Temperature Polymer Electrolyte Membranes – Part I: System Design and Modeling,” ASME Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, Feb. 2010, pp. 011007-1–9.
- Harris, T.A.L., Walczyk, D.F., and Weber, M., “Manufacturing of High-Temperature Polymer Electrolyte Membranes – Part II: Implementation and System Model Validation,” ASME Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, Vol. 7, No. 1, Feb. 2010, pp. 011008-1–8.
- Harris, T. A. L.; Walczyk, D., "Study on the Rheological Behavior of High Temperature Polymer Electrolyte Member Solutions" Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 111, No. 3, 2009, pp. 1286-92.
- Walczyk, D.F. and Ziomek, W, “An Inexpensive Weight Bearing Indicator with Load Range Capability for Rehabilitation of Patients with Lower Extremity Injuries,” ASME Journal of Medical Devices, Vol. 3, No. 3, Sept. 2009, pp. 031001-1–10.
- Walczyk, D.F. and Yoo, S., “Design and Fabrication of a Laminated Thermoforming Tool with Enhanced Functionality,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes, Vol. 11, 2009, pp. 8-18.