Associate Professor, Chemistry and Chemical Biology
Dr. Bae received a Ph.D. in chemistry at University of Southern California in 2002 under the guidance of G. K. Surya Prakash and Nobel Laureate George A. Olah. Following his graduate work, Dr. Bae moved to Yale University to carry out postdoctoral studies with John F. Hartwig investigating functionalization of C-H bonds in alkanes and polyolefins. He started independent career at University of Nevada Las Vegas as Assistant Professor in 2004 and was promoted to Associate Professor in 2010. During his tenure at University of Nevada Las Vegas, Dr. Bae received New Investigator Award (2005), ACS-Petroleum Research Fund Grant (2006), and NSF CAREER Award (2008). In summer of 2012 Dr. Bae joined Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
Postdoc, Yale University, 2004
Ph.D. (Chemistry), University of Southern California, 2002
MS (Chemistry), University of Massachusetts Lowell, 1997
MS (Materials Science & Engineering), Pohang University of Science & Technology (POSTECH), 1994
BS (Polymer Science & Engineering), Inha University, 1992
- Clean energy technology
- Ion-conducting polymers for energy conversion
- Green chemistry
- T. Hwang, J. –S. Oh, W. Yim, J. –D. Nam, C. Bae, H. Kim, K. J. Kim* "Ultrafiltration using grapheme oxide surface-embedded polysulfone membranes" Sep. Purif. Tech. 2016, 166, 41–47.
- A. D. Mohanty, S. E. Tignor, J. A. Krause, C. Bae* "Systematic Alkaline Stability Study of Polymer Backbones for Anion Exchange Membrane Applications" Macromolecules 2016, 49, 3361–3372.
- Y. Chang, A. D. Mohanty, S. B. Smedley, K. Abu-Hakmeh, Y. H. Lee, J. E. Morgan, M. A. Hickner,* S. S. Jang,* C. Y. Ryu, C. Bae* "Effect of Superacidic Sidechain Structures on High Conductivity Aromatic Polymer Fuel Cell Membranes" Macromolecules 2015, 48, 7117–7126.
- A. D. Mohanty, C. Y. Ryu, Y. S. Kim, C. Bae* "Stable Elastomeric Anion Exchange Membranes Based on Quaternary Ammonium-Tethered Polystyrene-b-poly(ethylene-co-butylene)-b-polystyrene Triblock Copolymers" Macromolecules 2015, 48, 7085–7095.
- A. D. Mohanty, C. Bae* "Transition Metal-Catalyzed Functionalization of Polyolefins Containing C–C, C=C, and C–H Bonds" Adv. Organomet. Chem. 2015, 64, 1–39 (invited review article).
- S. B. Smedley, Y. Chang, C. Bae, M. A. Hickner* "Measuring water hydrogen bonding distributions in proton exchange membranes using linear Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy" Solid State Ionics 2015, 275, 66–70.
- T. Le, Z. Shang, L. Wang, N. Li, S. Vajjala Kesava, J. O’Conner, Y. Chang, C. Bae, C. Zhu, A. Hexemer, E. W. Gomez, A. Salleo, Mi. A. Hickner, E. D. Gomez* "Miscibility and acid strength govern contact doping of organic photovoltaics with strong polyelectrolytes" Macromolecules 2015, 48, 5162–5171.
- J. –H. Kim, E. J. Park, B. Singh, J. –Y. Park, C. Bae, S. –J. Song* "Fabrication of Dense Cerium Pyrophosphate-Polystyrene Composite for Application as Low-Temperature Proton-Conducting Electrolytes" J. Electrochem. Soc. 2015, 162, F1159–F1164.