Rayleigh Endowed Chair Professor, Physics, Applied Physics & Astronomy
Humberto Terrones carried out his PhD at the University of London (Birkbeck College) under thesupervision of Prof. Alan L. Mackay (FRS). In 1991 Humberto Terrones and Alan Mackay were the first in introducing the concept of curvature in graphite and graphene proposing graphitic structures with negative Gaussian curvature called Schwarzites. Later, these ideas were implemented to understand defects in 2-D graphitic systems and were extended to transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs). He is interested in the electronic, optical, mechanical and chemical properties of few layered 2-D materials as well as using them as building blocks to form new 3-D nanostructures. He is a member of the World Academy of Sciences for the Advancement of Science in Developing Countries (TWAS) and the Mexican Academy of Sciences. He has been invited professor in Belgium (UCL), Brazil (UFC), Japan (Shinshu), ORNL (USA), Penn State University (USA) and Sussex University (UK).
PhD, University of London (Birkbeck), UK.
BSc, Iberoamericana University, Mexico.
- 2-Dimensional Materials
- Complex 3-D Atomic Structures
- Solid State and Condensed Matter Physics
- Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Das, S., Robinson, J.A., Dubey, M., Terrones, H., Terrones, M.``Beyond Graphene: Progress in Novel Two-Dimensional Materials and van der Waals Solids", ANNUAL REVIEW OF MATERIALS RESEARCH, VOL 45, 1-27, DOI: 10.1146/annurev-matsci-070214-021034 (2015).
- Wu, Y.P., Yi, N.B., Huang, L., Zhang, T.F., Fang, S.L., Chang, H.C., Li, N., Oh, J., Lee, J.A., Kozlov, M., Chipara, A.C., Terrones, H. Xiao, P., Long, G.K., Huang, Y., Zhang, F., Zhang, L., Lepro, X., Haines, C. Lima, M.D. Lopez-Perea, N., Rajukumar, L.P. Elias, A.L., Feng, S.M., Kim, S.J., Narayanan, N.T., Ajayan, P.M., Terrones, M. Aliev, A., Chu, P.F. Zhang, Z. Baughman, R.H., Chen, Y.S.,``Three-dimensionally bonded spongy graphene material with super compressive elasticity and near-zero Poisson's ratio", NATURE COMMUNICATIONS, Vol. 6, No. 6141, DOI: 10.1038/ncomms7141 (2015).
- Lv, R., Dos Santos, M.A., Antonelli, C., Feng, S., Fujisawa, K., Berkdemir, A., Cruz-Silva, R., Elias, A.L.,; Perea-Lopez, N., Lopez-Urias, F., Terrones, H., Terrones, M.,``Large-area si-doped graphene: controllable synthesis and enhanced molecular sensing", ADVANCED MATERIALS Vol. 26, No. 45, 7593-7599, DOI:10.1002/adma.201403537 (2014).
- Del Corro, E., Terrones, H., Elias, A.L., Fantini, C., Feng, S., Nguyen, M.A., Mallouk, T.E., Terrones, M., Pimenta, M.A., ``Excited Excitonic States in 1L, 2L, 3L, and Bulk WSe2 Observed by Resonant Raman Spectroscopy", ACS-NANO, Vol. 8, No. 9, 9629-9635 DOI: 10.1021/nn504088g, (2014).
- Terrones, H., Terrones, M., ``Electronic and Vibrational Properties of Defective Transition Metal Dichalcogenide Haeckelites: New 2-D Semi-metallic systems", 2-D MATERIALS, Vol. 1, 011003, doi:10.1088/2053-1583/1/1/011003 (2014).
- Terrones, H. Del Corro, E. Feng, S. Poumirol, J.M., Rhodes, D., Smirnov, D., Pradhan, N.R., Lin, Z., Nguyen, M.A.T., Elías, A.L., Mallouk, T.E., Balicas, L., Pimenta, M.A., Terrones, M., ``New First Order Raman-active Modes in Few Layered Transition Metal Dichalcogenides", SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, Vol. 4, 4215, doi:10.1038/srep04215 (2014).
- Gong, Y., Lin, J., Wang, X., Shi, G., Lei, S., Lin, Z., Vajtai, R., Terrones, H., Terrones, M., Tay, B.K., Lou, J., Pantelides, S.T., Liu, Z., Zhou, W., Ajayan, P.M., ``Vertical in-plane heterostructures from WS2/MoS2 monolayers", NATURE MATERIALS, Vol. 13, No. 12, 1135-1142, DOI: 10.1038/NMAT4091 (2014).