Associate Professor, Materials Science and Engineering
Ed is from Bay Shore, NY. He began his adventures in polymer science as a high school student under Prof. Miriam Rafailovich at SUNY Stony Brook. After completing a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering at Cornell in 2006, he moved to The University of Michigan and earned a Ph.D. in Macromolecular Science & Engineering, under the mentorship of Kenichi Kuroda, in 2011. Ed was also an NSF/JSPS visiting scholar at Nagoya University under Prof. Masami Kamigaito in 2010. Following a postdoc with Anne McNeil in Chemistry at Michigan, Ed joined the faculty at RPI in 2014.
Awards and Honors:: ACS PMSE Young Investigator, 2018 NSF CAREER Award, DMR-Biomaterials, 2017 ACS PRF Doctoral New Investigator Award, 2017 3M Non-Tenured Faculty Award, 2016-2018
Ph.D. Macromolecular Science & Engineering (2011), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
B.S. Mechanical Engineering (2006), Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
- Polymer Synthesis
- Materials-Biology Interface
- Antibacterial Materials
- Z. Zhou, C. Ergene, J. Y. Lee, D. J. Shirley, B. R. Carone, G. A. Caputo and E. F. Palermo*, "Sequence and Dispersity are Determinants of Photodynamic Antibacterial Activity Exerted by Peptidomimetic Oligo(thiophene)s" ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2019, 11 (2), 1896–1906
- Z. Zhou and E. F. Palermo*, "Templated Ring-Opening Metathesis (TROM) of Cyclic Olefins Tethered to Unimolecular Oligo(thiophene)s" Macromolecules 2018, 51, 6127-6137
- C. Ergene and E. F. Palermo*, "Self-Immolative Polymers with Potent and Selective Antimicrobial Activity by Hydrophilic Side Chain Grafting" Journal of Materials Chemistry B 2018, 6, 7217 - 7229
- C. Ergene, K. Yasuhara, E. F. Palermo*, "Biomimetic Antimicrobial Polymers: Recent Advances in Molecular Design", Polymer Chemistry 2018, 9, 2407-2427
- C. Ergene and E. F. Palermo*, "Cationic Poly(benzyl ether)s as Self-Immolative Antimicrobial Polymers," Biomacromolecules 2017, 18, 3400–3409
- H. Vijayamohanan, E. F. Palermo, and C. K. Ullal*. "Spirothiopyran-Based Reversibly Saturable Photoresist," Chemistry of Materials, 2017, 29 (11), 4754–4760
- A. R. D’Amato, D. L. Puhl, S. A. T. Ellman, B. Balouch, R. J. Gilbert*, E. F. Palermo*, "Vastly Extended Drug Release from Poly(pro-17β-Estradiol) Materials Facilitates in vitro Neurotrophism and Neuroprotection" Nature Communications 2019, 10, 4830.
- A. Chen, A. Karanastasis, K. R. Casey, M. Necelis, B. R. Carone, G. A. Caputo, E. F. Palermo*, "Cationic Molecular Umbrellas as Antibacterial Agents with Remarkable Cell-Type Selectivity" ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2020, 12, 19, 21270–21282