Assistant Professor, Physics, Applied Physics & Astronomy
Ethan Brown's research is in particle astrophysics, using techniques from particle physics to answer questions related to astronomy. The research uses liquid xenon detectors to probe rare physics properties in an attempt to identify the content and properties of the fundamental constituents of matter. As a member of the XENON1T and XENONnT dark matter experiments, and the nEXO neutrinoless double beta decay experiment, this research probes theories beyond the standard model of particle physics, and attempts to detect and characterize dark matter and the nature of the neutrino.
Ph.D. Physics, University of California, Los Angeles, 2010
B.S. Physics, University of California, San Diego, 2006
- Direct detection of dark matter
- Neutrinoless double beta decay
- Experimental astroparticle physics
- Radiation detector development
- E. Aprile, et al. (XENON Collaboration), First observation of two-neutrino double electron capture in 124-Xe with XENON1T, Nature 568, 532-535 (2019)
- C. Chambers, et al. (nEXO Collaboration), Imaging individual barium atoms in solid xenon for barium tagging in nEXO, Nature 569, 203-207 (2019)
- E. Aprile et al. (XENON Collaboration), Dark Matter Search Results from a One Ton-Year Exposure of XENON1T, Phys. Rev. Lett. 121, 111302 (2018)
- E. Brown, et al., Magnetically-coupled piston pump for high-purity gas applications, Eur. Phys. J. C (2018) 78: 604.
- J. Albert, et al. (nEXO Collaboration), Sensitivity and discovery potential of the proposed nEXO experiment to neutrinoless double beta decay, Phys. Rev. C 97, 065503 (2018)
- E. Aprile, et al. (XENON Collaboration), Exclusion of Leptophilic Dark Matter Models using XENON100 Electronic Recoil Data, Science 2015 vol. 349 no. 6250 pp. 851-854
- E. Aprile et al (XENON100 Collaboration), Limits on spin-dependent WIMP-nucleon cross sections from 225 live days of XENON100 data, Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 021301 (2013)
- E. Aprile et al.(XENON Collaboration), Dark Matter Results from 225 Live Days of XENON100 Data, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 181301 (2012)