Frank J. Cunha
Professor of Practice, Rensselaer at Hartford
Year Joined RPI
Other Certificates and Licenses
P.E., New York University, Mechanical Engineering
Other Professional Experiences
University of Connecticut, United Technologies Pratt & Whitney, Siemens-Westinghouse Corp., General Electric
- Ph.D., New York University, Mechanical Engineering, 1995
- M.S., New Jersey Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering, 1983
- B.S., New Jersey Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering, 1979
- Turbomachinery Development and Turbine Blade Analysis
- Advanced Thermodynamics and Energy Systems
- Solid and Fluid Mechanics
- Computer modeling and simulation
- Heat Transfer Testing
- Slot Cooling
- Thermal-Mechanical Fatigue
- Cunha, F.J., Gas Turbine Heat Transfer, Turbine Aerodynamics, Heat Transfer, Materials and Mechanics, Progress and Astronautics and Aeronautics, Vol. 243, ISBN-13: 978-1624102639, September, 2014.
- Cunha, F.J., Turbine Heat Transfer Analysis, Gas Turbine Handbook, United States Department of Energy, National Energy Technology Laboratory, 2006
- Cunha, F.J., Trailing Edge Cooling for Gas Turbines, Special Section on Turbine Science and Technology, AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, April 2006.
- Cunha, F.J., Integrated High Performance Turbine Engine Technologies VII “Turbine Edge Cooling, United States Air Force, Air Force Material Command, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright Patterson Air Force Research Laboratory, May, 2003.
- Cunha, F.J., Enhanced Turbine Airfoil Lifing for Long Hot Missions, United States Air Force, Air Force Material Command, Aeronautical Systems Center, Wright Patterson Air Force Research Laboratory, May, 2003.
- “Heat Transfer on Internal Surfaces of a Duct Subjected to Impingement of a Jet Array with Varying Jet Hole-Size and Spacing”, Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol.128, 2006.
- “Effects of Coating Blockage and Deposit on Film-Cooling Effectiveness and Surface Heat Transfer”, AIAA 2006-0024, 2006
- Thermal-Mechanical Life Prediction System for Anisotropic Turbine Components Journal of Turbomachinery, TURBO-05-1110, 2005