Professor, Physics, Applied Physics & Astronomy
Prof. Gyorgy Korniss received his Diploma (M.S.) in Physics at Eotvos University, Budapest in 1993 and his Ph.D. in Physics at Virginia Tech in 1997. His research background is statistical physics and interacting and agent-based systems. He was a postdoctoral research associate at the Supercomputer Computations Research Institute, Florida State University between 1997-2000. He has been in the Department Physics at RPI since 2000, where he has been a Professor since 2012. He authored and co-authored over 100 mostly interdisciplinary publications, including papers in Science, Physical Review Letters, Journal of Theoretical Biology, Scientific Reports, and Chaos. He is an Editorial Board member of Fluctuation and Noise Letters and Scientific Reports. His current research focuses on transport, flow, and cascading failures in complex networks; synchronization, coordination, and extreme events in coupled stochastic systems; and opinion dynamics and influencing in social networks.
1993-1997 Ph.D. in Physics, Virginia Tech
1989-1993 M.S. (Diploma) in Physics, Eötvös Loránd University, Budapest, Hungary
1988-89 Physics Major at Kossuth Lajos University, Debrecen, Hungary
- Complex systems: structure and dynamics of social, information, and infrastructure networks
- Social dynamics, opinion spreading, and influencing in social networks
- Robustness, vulnerability, and cascading failures in large-scale information and infrastructure networks
- Synchronization and flow in complex networks
- Extreme events in network dynamics
- S. Dipple, A. Choudhary, J. Flamino, B.K. Szymanski, G. Korniss, "Using Correlated Stochastic Differential Equations to Forecast Cryptocurrency Rates and Social Media Activities", Applied Network Science 5, 17 (2020).
- P. D. Karampourniotis, B.K. Szymanski, G. Korniss,"Influence Maximization for Fixed Heterogeneous Thresholds", Scientific Reports 9, 5573 (2019).
- A. Moussawi, N. Derzsy, X. Lin, B. K. Szymanski, and G. Korniss, "Limits of Predictability of Cascading Overload Failures in Spatially-Embedded Networks with Distributed Flows", Scientific Reports 7, 11729 (2017).
- A. Asztalos, S. Sreenivasan, B.K. Szymanski, G. Korniss, "Cascading failures in spatially-embedded random networks”, PLoS One 9(1): e84563 (2014).
- F. Molnár Jr., S. Sreenivasan, B.K. Szymanski, and G. Korniss, "Minimum Dominating Sets in Scale-Free Network Ensembles", Scientific Reports 3, 1736 (2013).
- P. Singh, S. Sreenivasan, B.K. Szymanski, and G. Korniss, "Threshold-limited spreading in social networks with multiple initiators", Scientific Reports 3, 2330 (2013).
- J. Xie, J. Emenheiser, M. Kirby, S. Sreenivasan, B.K. Szymanski, and G. Korniss, “Evolution of opinions on social networks in the presence of competing committed groups”, PLoS One 7(3): e33215 (2012).
- J. Xie, S. Sreenivasan, G. Korniss, W. Zhang, C. Lim, and B. K. Szymanski, "Social consensus through the influence of committed minorities”, Physical Review E 84, 011130 (2011).