Rayleigh Endowed Chair Professor, Physics, Applied Physics & Astronomy
Humberto Terrones carried out his PhD at the University of London (Birkbeck College) under thesupervision of Prof. Alan L. Mackay (FRS). In 1991 Humberto Terrones and Alan Mackay were the first in introducing the concept of curvature in graphite and graphene proposing graphitic structures with negative Gaussian curvature called Schwarzites. Later, these ideas were implemented to understand defects in 2-D graphitic systems and were extended to transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs). He is interested in the electronic, optical, mechanical and chemical properties of few layered 2-D materials as well as using them as building blocks to form new 3-D nanostructures. He is a member of the World Academy of Sciences for the Advancement of Science in Developing Countries (TWAS) and the Mexican Academy of Sciences. He has been invited professor in Belgium (UCL), Brazil (UFC), Japan (Shinshu), ORNL (USA), Penn State University (USA) and Sussex University (UK).
PhD, University of London (Birkbeck), UK.
BSc, Iberoamericana University, Mexico.
- 2-Dimensional Materials
- Complex 3-D Atomic Structures
- Solid State and Condensed Matter Physics
- Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Nonlinear Optics
- K. Beach; M. C. Lucking; H. Terrones, Strain dependence of second harmonic generation in transition metal dichalcogenide monolayers and the fine structure of the C exciton. Physical Review B 2020, 101 (15).
- Y. Lei; D. Butler; M. C. Lucking; F. Zhang; T. N. Xia; K. Fujisawa; T. Granzier-Nakajima; R. Cruz-Silva; M. Endo; H. Terrones; M. Terrones; A. Ebrahimi, Single-atom doping of MoS2 with manganese enables ultrasensitive detection of dopamine: Experimental and computational approach. Science Advances 2020, 6 (32).
- W. Murray; M. Lucking; E. Kahn; T. Y. Zhang; K. Fujisawa; N. Perea-Lopez; A. L. Elias; H. Terrones; M. Terrones; Z. W. Liu, Second harmonic generation in two-dimensional transition metal dichalcogenides with growth and post-synthesis defects. 2d Materials 2020, 7 (4).
- T. Y. Zhang; K. Fujisawa; F. Zhang; M. Z. Liu; M. C. Lucking; R. N. Gontijo; Y. Lei; H. Liu; K. Crust; T. Granzier-Nakajima; H. Terrones; A. L. Elias; M. Terrones, Universal In Situ Substitutional Doping of Transition Metal Dichalcogenides by Liquid-Phase Precursor-Assisted Synthesis. Acs Nano 2020, 14 (4), 4326-4335.
- E. Kahn; M. Lucking; F. Zhang; Y. Lei; T. Granzier-Nakajima; D. Grasseschi; K. Beach; W. Murray; Y. T. Yeh; A. L. Elias; Z. W. Liu; H. Terrones; M. Terrones, Selective Synthesis of Bi2Te3/WS2 Heterostructures with Strong Interlayer Coupling. Acs Applied Materials & Interfaces 2020, 12 (26), 29575-29582
- M. C. Lucking; K. Beach; H. Terrones, Large second harmonic generation in alloyed TMDs and boron nitride nanostructures. Scientific Reports 2018, 8.
- A. J. Littlesjohn; Z. D. Li; Z. H. Lu; X. Sun; P. Nawarat; Y. P. Wang; Y. Li; T. W. Wang; Y. W. Chen; L. H. Zhang; H. X. Li; K. Kisslinger; S. F. Shi; J. Sh; A. Raeliarijaona; W. Q. Shi; H. Terrones; K. M. Lewis; M. Washington; T. M. Lu; G. C. Wang, Large Metallic Vanadium Disulfide Ultrathin Flakes for Spintronic Circuits and Quantum Computing Devices. Acs Applied Nano Materials 2019, 2 (6), 3684-3694.
- C. Torres-Torres; N. Perea-Lopez; A. L. Elias; H. R. Gutierrez; D. A. Cullen; A. Berkdemir; F. Lopez-Urias; H. Terrones; M. Terrones, Third order nonlinear optical response exhibited by mono- and few-layers of WS2. 2d Materials 2016, 3 (2).