Rayleigh Endowed Chair Professor, Physics, Applied Physics & Astronomy
Humberto Terrones carried out his PhD at the University of London (Birkbeck College) under thesupervision of Prof. Alan L. Mackay (FRS). In 1991 Humberto Terrones and Alan Mackay were the first in introducing the concept of curvature in graphite and graphene proposing graphitic structures with negative Gaussian curvature called Schwarzites. Later, these ideas were implemented to understand defects in 2-D graphitic systems and were extended to transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs). He is interested in the electronic, optical, mechanical and chemical properties of few layered 2-D materials as well as using them as building blocks to form new 3-D nanostructures. He is a member of the World Academy of Sciences for the Advancement of Science in Developing Countries (TWAS) and the Mexican Academy of Sciences. He has been invited professor in Belgium (UCL), Brazil (UFC), Japan (Shinshu), ORNL (USA), Penn State University (USA) and Sussex University (UK).
PhD, University of London (Birkbeck), UK.
BSc, Iberoamericana University, Mexico.
- 2-Dimensional Materials
- Complex 3-D Atomic Structures
- Solid State and Condensed Matter Physics
- Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Nonlinear Optics
- Beach, K., Lucking, M.C., Terrones, H., “Strain dependence of second harmonic generation in TMD monolayers and the fine structure of the C-exciton”, submitted 2019.
- Lucking, M. C., Beach, K., Terrones, H., ``Large second harmonic generation in alloyed TMDs and boron nitride nanostructures", SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, Volume: 8, Article Number: 10118, Published. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-018-27702-9 (2018).
- Pradhan, Nihar R.; Garcia, Carlos; Lucking, Michael C; Pakhira, Srimanta; Martinez, Juan; Rosenmann, Daniel; Divan, Ralu; Sumant, Anirudha V; Terrones, Humberto; Mendoza-Cortes, Jose L; McGill, Stephen A; Zhigadlo, Nikolai D; Balicas, Luis, “Raman and electrical transport properties of few-layered arsenic-doped black phosphorus”, Nanoscale, Vol. 11, No. 39, 18449-18463, DOI:10.1039/c9nr04598h (2019)
- Meng, Y.Z., Wang, T.M., Li, Z.P., Qin, Y., Lian, Z., Chen, Y.W., Lucking, M.C., Beach, K., Taniguchi, T., Watanabe, K., Tongay, S., Song, F.Q., Terrones, H., Shi, S.F.``Excitonic Complexes and Emerging Interlayer Electron-Phonon Coupling in BN Encapsulated Monolayer Semiconductor Alloy: WS0.6Se1.4", NANO LETTERS, Volume 19, No. 1, 299-307. DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.8b03918 (2019).
- Terrones, H. Lv., R.T., Terrones, M., Dresselhaus, MS, "The role of defects and doping in 2D graphene sheets and 1D nanoribbons", REPORTS ON PROGRESS IN PHYSICS, Volume: 75, Issue: 6, Article Number: 062501, DOI: 10.1088/0034-4885/75/6/062501 (2012).
- Jiang, J, Sun, X., Chen, XC, Wang, BW, Chen, ZZ, Hu, Y, Guo, YW, Zhang, LF, Ma, Y, Gao, L, Zheng, FS, Jin, L, Chen, M, Ma, ZW , Zhou, YY , Padture, NP, Beach, K, Terrones, H, Shi, YF, Gall, D, Lu, TM; Wertz, E, Feng, J , Shi, J. “Carrier lifetime enhancement in halide perovskite via remote epitaxy”, Nature Communications, Vol. 10, article No. 4145, DOI: 10.1038/s41467-019-12056-1 (2019).
- Terrones, H. Del Corro, E. Feng, S. Poumirol, J.M., Rhodes, D., Smirnov, D., Pradhan, N.R., Lin, Z., Nguyen, M.A.T., Elías, A.L., Mallouk, T.E., Balicas, L., Pimenta, M.A., Terrones, M., ``New First Order Raman-active Modes in Few Layered Transition Metal Dichalcogenides", SCIENTIFIC REPORTS, Vol. 4, 4215, doi:10.1038/srep04215 (2014).
- Gong, Y., Lin, J., Wang, X., Shi, G., Lei, S., Lin, Z., Vajtai, R., Terrones, H., Terrones, M., Tay, B.K., Lou, J., Pantelides, S.T., Liu, Z., Zhou, W., Ajayan, P.M., ``Vertical in-plane heterostructures from WS2/MoS2 monolayers", NATURE MATERIALS, Vol. 13, No. 12, 1135-1142, DOI: 10.1038/NMAT4091 (2014).