Dr. Hunter Belanger earned his B.S. in Physics, with a minor in Nuclear Engineering, from RPI in 2018. After graduating with his M.S. in Physics from RPI in 2019, he moved to France to begin his Ph.D. at the Commissariat à l'énergie atomique et aux énergies alternatives (CEA) Paris-Saclay, in the Service d’Études de Réacteurs et de Mathématiques Appliquées. While at CEA, he worked on the development of Monte Carlo particle transport methods, considering problems related to spatially continuous material properties, vibrations of fuel rods in nuclear reactors, and high-performance computing. Hunter defended his Ph.D. in October of 2022, and returned to RPI as a faculty member in 2023.
Hunter's research interests are focused on Monte Carlo particle transport methods. He is interested in a wide variety of reactor physics problems, such as Monte Carlo transient simulations, neutron clustering, vibrations inside nuclear reactor cores, and coupled multi-physics simulations. He is an active developer, working on open-source computational tools for nuclear engineering, reactor physics, and teaching.
Ph.D. in Nuclear Energy, Université Paris-Saclay, France (2022)
M.S. in Physics, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY (2019)
B.S. in Physics, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY (2018)
- H. Belanger, “Papillon Nuclear Data Library - A Free and Open-Source C++/Python Library for Interacting with ACE Files for Continuous-Energy Neutron Data,” European Journal of Physics N, vol. 9, 2023, doi: 10.1051/epjn/2023006.
- H. Belanger, D. Mancusi, A. Rouchon, and A. Zoia, “Variance Reduction and Noise Source Sampling Techniques for Monte Carlo Simulations of Neutron Noise Induced by Mechanical Vibrations,” Nuclear Science and Engineering, vol. 197, no. 4, pp. 534–557, 2023, doi: 10.1080/00295639.2022.2126719.
- H. Belanger, D. Mancusi, and A. Zoia, “Unbiasedness and optimization of regional weight cancellation,” Physical Review E, vol. 106, no. 2, p. 025302, 2022, doi: 10.1103/physreve.106.025302.
- H. Belanger, D. Mancusi, and A. Zoia, “Exact weight cancellation in Monte Carlo eigenvalue transport problems,” Physical Review E, vol. 104, no. 1, p. 015306, 2021, doi: 10.1103/physreve.104.015306.
- H. Belanger, D. Mancusi, and A. Zoia, “Review of Monte Carlo methods for particle transport in continuously-varying media,” European Physical Journal Plus, vol. 135, no. 11, p. 877, 2020, doi: 10.1140/epjp/s13360-020-00731-y.
- H. Belanger, T. Bonnet, D. Mancusi, and A. Zoia, “The Effects of Branchless Collisions on Neutron Clustering,”, in ANS Mathematics & Computation Topical Meeting, 2023.
- H. Belanger, C. Larmier, D. Mancusi, and A. Zoia, “Optimization of Particle Tracking Methods for Stochastic Media,” in ANS Physics of Nuclear Reactors Topical Meeting, 2022.
- H. Belanger, D. Mancusi, and A. Zoia, “Variance Reduction Techniques for Monte Carlo Neutron Noise Simulations,” in ANS Physics of Nuclear Reactors Topical Meeting, 2022.
- H. Belanger, D. Mancusi, and A. Zoia, “Solving Eigenvalue Transport Problems With Negative Weights and Regional Cancellation,” in ANS Mathematics & Computation Topical Meeting, 2021.
The following is a selection of recent publications in Scopus. Hunter Belanger has 5 indexed publications in the subjects of Physics and Astronomy, Energy, Mathematics.