Professor of Practice, Materials Science and Engineering
Dr. LaGraff has been at RPI since 2004 primarily as a lab coordinator for ENGR1600 (Materials Science for Engineers) and as an adjunct (ENGR1600 and ENGR2050—Introduction to Engineering Design). Concurrently, he was a Lecturer in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at Siena College from 2005-2017, where he taught courses in General Chemistry and Environmental Chemistry.
Previous experience includes a National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship in Chemistry at the University of Illinois and 5 years with TRW Space and Defense (currently Northrup Grumman) in Redondo Beach, California and GE Global R&D in Niskayuna, New York. He currently holds eight US patents primarily in the areas of microelectronic processing, combinatorial chemistry, and advanced coatings for jet engines. Dr. LaGraff has presented over 60 invited and contributed talks; and is the author of about 30 papers, book chapters, and a book on Materials Chemistry.
Ph.D. Ceramic Science, University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana, 1992
M.S. Ceramic Science, New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred University, 1988
B.S. Chemical Engineering, Syracuse University, 1985
- "Scanning Force Microscopy and Flourescent Microscopy of Microcontact Printed Antibodies and Antibody Fragments," J.R. LaGraff, Q. Chu-Lagraff, Langmuir 22, 4685 (2006).
- "Inorganic Materials Chemistry: Desk Reference," D. Sangeeta, J.R. LaGraff, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL (2005).
- "Novel Method for Fabrication of Integrated Resistors on Bilayer Ag/YBa2Cu3O7 Films using Ion Implantation," J.R. LaGraff, H. Chan, J.M. Murduck, S.H. Hong, Q.Y. Ma, Applied Physics Letters 71, 2199 (1997).
- "Nanometer-scale Mechanism for the Constructive Modification of Cu Single Crystals and Alkanethiol Passivated Au(111) with an Atomic Force Microscope," J.R. LaGraff, A.A. Gewirth, Journal of Physical Chemistry 99, 10009 (1995).
- "Oxygen Stoichiometry and Mobility Effects on Domain Wall Motion in Ferroelastic YBa2Cu3O7-δ," J.R. LaGraff, D.A. Payne, Ferroelectrics 130, 87 (1992).
- "Magnetic and Structural Properties of YBa2Cu3O7-xFy as Prepared by an NF3 Gas Anneal," J.R. LaGraff, E.C. Behrman, J.A.T. Taylor, F.J. Rotella, J.D. Jorgensen, L.Q. Wang, P.G. Mattocks, Physical Review B 39, 347 (1989).