Professor & Department Head, Biomedical Engineering
Juergen Hahn is a Professor in and the Department Head of the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Rensselaer. He also holds an appointment as a Professor in the Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering and he is affiliated with the Center for Biotechnology & Interdisciplinary Studies.
He received his diploma degree in engineering from RWTH Aachen, Germany, in 1997, and his MS and Ph.D. degrees in Chemical Engineering from the University of Texas, Austin, in 1998 and 2002, respectively. He was a post-doctoral researcher at the Chair for Process Systems Engineering at RWTH Aachen, Germany, before joining the Department of Chemical Engineering at Texas A&M University, College Station, in 2003. He joined Rensselaer as a Professor in 2012. His research interests include systems biology and process modeling and analysis with over 80 articles and book chapters in print. Dr. Hahn is a recipient of a Fulbright scholarship (1995/96), received the Best Referee Award for 2004 from the Journal of Process Control, the CPC 7 Outstanding Contributed Paper Award in 2006, was named the 2010 CAST Outstanding Young Researcher, and has been elected as an AIMBE fellow in 2013. He is currently serving as an associate editor for the journal Control Engineering Practice, the journal Processes, and serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Process Control.
Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin, (2002)
M.S., University of Texas at Austin, (1998)
Diploma, RWTH Aachen, Germany, (1997)
- Systems Biology
- Process Systems Engineering
- T. Vargason, D.P. Howsmon, S. Melnyk, S.J. James, and J. Hahn. Mathematical Modeling of the Methionine Cycle and Transsulfuration Pathway in Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Theoretical Biology 416, pp. 28-37 (2017)
- J.A. Jones, V.R. Vernacchio, A.L. Sinkoe, S.M. Collins, M.H. Ibrahim, D.M. Lachance, J. Hahn, M.A. Koffas. Experimental and Computational Optimization of an Escherichia Coli Co-culture for the Efficient Production of Flavonoids. Metabolic Engineering 35, pp. 55-63 (2016)
- P. Zhang, W. Dai, J. Hahn, and S.P. Gilbert. Drosophila Ncd Reveals an Evolutionarily Conserved Powerstroke Mechanism for Homodimeric and Heterodimeric Kinesin-14s. PNAS 112, No. 20, pp. 6359-6364 (2015)
- T. Omer, L. Zhao, X. Intes, and J. Hahn. Reduced Temporal Sampling Effect on Time-domain Fluorescence Lifetime FRET Accuracy. Journal of Biomedical Optics 19, No. 8, 086023 (2014)
- A. Bhadouria, M. Sorci, M. Gu, G. Belfort, and J. Hahn. Optimization of Membrane Separation Processes for Protein Fractionation. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research 53, No. 13, pp. 5103-5109 (2014)
- W. Dai, D. Word, and J. Hahn. Modeling and Dynamic Optimization of Fuel-grade Ethanol Fermentation Using Fed-batch Process. Control Engineering Practice,22 pp. 231-241 (2014)
- C. Kravaris, J. Hahn, and Y. Chu. Advances and Selected Recent Developments in State and Parameter Estimation. Computers & Chemical Engineering 51, pp. 111-123 (2013)