Associate Professor, Mechanical Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering
Professor Sandipan Mishra joined RPI’s faculty in the Mechanical, Aerospace, and Nuclear Engineering Department in Fall 2010, and was promoted to Associate Professor with tenure in 2016. He was a member of the 2010 Japan MEXT-NSF Young investigator exchange program for nanomanufacturing and the recipient of the NSF Early CAREER award in 2013 on additive manufacturing. His research interests are in the area of systems and control theory, learning control, nonlinear estimation, and precision mechatronics, as applied to additive manufacturing, unmanned aerial vehicles and smart buildings. He is the PI of the ISAaC laboratory at RPI, which is supported by grants from government agencies including NSF, the DoD, and DoE, along with industrial partners including Hewlett Packard Labs, Sikorsky Inc, Mathworks Inc., National Instruments, Simmetrix, and Vivonics Inc.
Professor Mishra's teaching portfolio includes Systems Analysis Techniques, Feedforward and Learning Algorithms, Advanced Manufacturing Systems and Processes, Mechatronics, Modeling and Control of Dynamical Systems, and Introduction to Engineering Analysis. He was the recipient of the Class of 1951 Teaching Award for 2015, the School of Engineering Education Innovation Award in 2017 and the School of Engineering Research Team Award in 2017.
Ph.D. University of California Berkeley
- Dynamic Systems and Control
- Precision Mechatronics
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Energy Efficient Buildings
- B. Hu*, L. Lu, S. Mishra, “An Algorithm for Time Optimal Autonomous Landing of a Quadrotor onto a Moving Platform”, Asian Journal of Control, available online, 2018.
- Y. Guo*, S. Mishra, “Mixed Norm Cost Functions for Constrained Optimal Iterative Learning Control”, IFAC Mechatronics, vol. 43, page(s) 56-65, 2017.
- C. C. Okaeme*, S. Mishra, J. T. Wen, “Comfort Zone Set-Based Thermohygrometric Control in Buildings”, IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, available online 2017.
- M. Toufiq Imam*, S. Afshari**, S. Mishra, "An Experimental Survey of Feedback Control Methodologies for Advanced Lighting Systems", Energy and Buildings, vol. 130, page(s) 600-612, 2016.
- S. Afshari**, L. Moynihan, S. Mishra, “An Optimization Toolbox for Multi-Color LED Lighting”, Lighting Research and Technology, https://doi.org/10.1177/1477153516669881, Oct. 2016 .
- S. Afshari*, S. Mishra, “Decentralized Control of Smart Lighting Systems”, IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, vol. 24, no. 4, pages(s) 1317-1327, 2016.
- J. Tani*, S. Mishra, J. Wen, “Motion Blur-Based State Estimation”, IEEE Trans. on Control Systems Technology, vol. 24, no. 4, pages(s) 1317-1327, 2016
- L. Lu**, J. Zheng*, S. Mishra, “Layer to Layer Modeling and Control of Inkjet 3D Printing”, IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, vol.20, No.3, page(s) 1056-1068, 2015.