B. Wayne Bequette
Professor and Associate Director of the Center for Automation Technologies and Systems (CATS), Chemical and Biological Engineering
Dr. Bequette served as President of the American Automatic Control Council (AACC) in 2008-9, and is currently the Board Secretary. He was the AIChE CAST Division Programming Chair (2010-2013), and is the Meeting Program Chair for the 2014 Annual AIChE Meeting in Atlanta. He is a Fellow of the AIMBE (2014) and AIChE (2008), was inducted into the Arkansas Academy of Chemical Engineers (April, 2007), received the Rensselaer School of Engineering Research Excellence Award (2008) and the Rensselaer Jerome Fischbach Travel Award (2013). He is a Trustee of the CACHE Corporation (2010-present). Dr. Bequette is the author of Process Control: Modeling, Design and Simulation (2003) and Process Dynamics: Modeling, Analysis and Simulation (1998), both published by Prentice Hall. He served as the Guest Editor of Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics (February, 2005), and also edited special issues on Process Control for the IEEE Control Systems Magazine (August and December, 2006). He is a founding member of the editorial board of the Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, and has co-edited a number of special issues on algorithms for sensors and a closed-loop artificial pancreas. He also serves on the Editorial Board for Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research (I&ECR).
1980 B.S. Ch.E. University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 1985 M.S.E. University of Texas, Austin 1986 Ph.D. University of Texas, Austin
- Diabetes technology: blood glucose monitoring and control
- Chemical and energy process systems: automation and control
- Smart grid automation
- Bequette, B.W. Hypoglycemia Prevention using Low Glucose Suspend Systems. Chapter 3 in Data-driven Modeling for Diagnosis and Treatment of Diabetes. V. Marmarelis and G. Mitsis (eds.). Springer (in press, 2014).
- Bequette, B.W. Control in Physiology and Medicine. Chapter 2 (pp. 13-44) in Modelling Methodology for Physiology and Medicine, E. Carson and C. Cobelli (eds.), 2nd edition, Academic Press (2014).
- Maahs DM, Calhoun P, Buckingham BA, Chase HP, Hramiak I, Lum J, Cameron F, Bequette BW, Aye T, Paul HT, Slover R, Wadwa P, Wilson DM, Kollman C, Beck RW. A randomized trial of a home system to reduce hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2014; in press.
- Wang Y, Fang M, Jiang X, Bequette BW, Xie H, Intensive insulin therapy for critically ill subjects based on direct data-driven model predictive control. J. Proc. Cont. 2014;24 (in press).
- Ramkissoon C, Aufderheide B, Bequette BW, Palerm CC. A model of glucose-insulin-pramlintide pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in type 1 diabetes. J. Diabetes Sci. Technol. 2014;8(2)(on-line, ahead of print: doi:10.1177/1932296813517323).
- Stenerson M, Cameron F, Wilson DM, Harris B, Payne S, Bequette BW, Buckingham BA. The impact of accelerometer and heart rate data on hypoglycemia mitigation in type 1 diabetes. J. Diabetes Sci. Technol, 2014;8(1):64-69.
- Bequette, B.W. Algorithms for a Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas: The Case for Model Predictive Control (MPC). J. Diabetes Sci. Technol. 2013;7(6):1632-1643.
- Buckingham BA, Cameron F, Calhoun P, Maahs DM, Wilson DM, Chase HP, Bequette BW, Lum J, Sibayan J, Beck RW, Kollman C. Outpatient safety assessment of an in-home predictive low-glucose suspend system with T1D subjects at elevated risk of nocturnal hypoglycemia. Diabetes Tech. Ther. 2013;15(8):622-627.