Professor, Mathematical Sciences
My research has addressed problems of practical concern arising in the general area of solid and fluid mechanics, especially chemically reactive flows of the kind that occur during combustion and explosion processes. Recent work has focused on the development and analysis, both theoretical and computational, of models that would accurately predict the generation and propagation of detonation waves in high-energy solid explosives. The research is carried out in collaboration with colleagues at Rensselaer and at Los Alamos and Lawrence Livermore national laboratories.
Ph.D., Cornell University, 1975
- Applied Mathematics: Reactive and multiphase flow, nonlinear waves, perturbation methods, scientific computing
- Education: Development of web-based instructional materials
- " Sensitivity of run-to-detonation distance in practical explosives," Combustion Theory & Modeling, 20 (2016), 1088-1117 (with J. R. Gambino and D. W. Schwendeman).
- "An added-mass partition algorithm for fluid-structure interactions of compressible fluids and nonlinear solids," Journal of Computational Physics, 305 (2016), 1037-1064 (with J.W. Banks, W.D. Henshaw, and D.W. Schwendeman).
- "A Numerical Study of the Dynamics of Detonation Initiated by Cavity Collapse," Shock Waves, 6 (2015), 545-572 (with D.W. Schwendeman, J. Gambino and W.D. Henshaw).
- "A Hybrid Two-Phase Mixture Model of Detonation Diffraction with Compliant Confinement," Comptes Rendus Mecanique, 340 (2012), 804-817 (with D. W. Schwendeman and W. D. Henshaw).
- "A hybrid two-phase mixture model of detonation diffraction with compliant confinement, Comptes Rendus Mathematique, 340 (2012), 804-817 (with D.W. Schwendeman and W.D. Henshaw).
- "Numerical study of multi-scale compaction-initiated detonation," Shock Waves, 29 (2019), 193-219 (with D. W. Schwendeman and J. Gambino).
- "An HLLC-type Riemann solver and high-resolution Godunov method for a two-phase model of reactive flow with general equations of state," Journal of Computational Physics, 405 (2020), 109180 (with M. Hennessey and D. W. Schwendeman).
- "Shock structure for the seven-equation, two-phase, continuum-mixture model," Combustion Theory & Modelling, DOI: 10.1080/13647830.2021.1889683 (2021) (with J. B. Bdzil and M. P. Hennessey).