Robert J. Linhardt
Ann and John H. Broadbent, Jr. ’59 Senior Constellation Professor of Biocatalysis and Metabolic Engineering, Chemistry and Chemical Biology
Robert J. Linhardt received his Ph.D. degree from the Johns Hopkins University (1979) and was a postdoctoral student with Professor Robert Langer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (1979-1982) and served on the faculty of University of Iowa from 1982-2003. He is currently the Ann and John H. Broadbent, Jr.'59 Senior Constellation Professor of Biocatalysis and Metabolic Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, holding joint appointments in the Departments of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Biology, Chemical and Biological Engineering, and Biomedical Engineering. He is an Adjunct Professor of Orthopedics at the Icahn School of Medicine, Mount Sinai, NY. His honors include the American Chemical Society Horace S. Isbell, Claude S. Hudson and Melville L. Wolfrom Awards, the AACP Volwiler Research Achievement Award, the USP Award for an Innovative Response to a Public Health Challenge, is a fellow of the National Academy of Inventors (NAI), a Fellow of the AAAS, and one of the Scientific American Top 10. His research focuses on glycobiology, glycochemistry and glycoengineering. He has recently been actively involved in the emerging field of nanobiotechnology and is focused on developing an artificial Golgi and cellulose-based energy storage devices. Professor Linhardt has published over 900 peer-reviewed manuscripts and holds over 50 patents.
Marquette University, B.S. 1975 Chemistry The Johns Hopkins University M.A., Ph.D. 1977, 1979 Organic Chemistry Massachusetts Institute of Technology Postdoctoral 1979-1982 Biochemical Engineering
- Metabolic Engineering
- Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry
- Chemoenzymatic Synthesis
- Biochemistry and Chemical Biology
- Biotechnology and Biomaterials
- Organic, Medicinal and Drug Discovery
- Polymers, Materials and Energy
- Tip-enhanced Raman imaging of single-stranded DNA with single base resolution, Z. He, Z. Han, M. Kizer, R. Linhardt, X. Wang, A. Sinyukov, J. Wang, V. Deckert, A. Sokolov, J. Hu, M. Scully, Journal of the American Chemical Society, in press, 2018.
- A mutant cell library for systematic analysis of heparan sulfate, H. Qiu, S. Shi, J. Yue, M. Xin, A. V. Nairn, L. Lin, X. Liu, G. Li, S. A. Archer-Hartmann, M. Dela Rosa, M. Galizzi, S. Wang, F. Zhang, P. Azadi, T. H. van Kuppevelt, W. V. Cardoso, K. Kimata, X. Ai, K. W. Moremen, J. Esko, R. J. Linhardt, L. Wang, Nature Methods, 15, 889-899, 2018.
- A Flexible Carbon/Sulfur-Cellulose Core-Shell Structure for Advanced Lithium–Sulfur Batteries, L. Li, L. Hou, J. Cheng, T. J. Simmons, F. Zhang, L. Zhang, R. J. Linhardt, N. Koratkar, Energy Storage Materials, 15, 388–395, 2018.
- Structural and functional components of the skate sensory organ ampullae of Lorenzini, X. Zhang, K. Xia, L. Lin, F. Zhang, Y. Yu, K. St.Ange, X. Han, E. Edsinger, J. J. Sohn, R. J. Linhardt, ACS Chemical Biology, 13, 1677–1685, 2018.
- Sequencing the dermatan sulfate chain of decorin, Yanlei Yu, Jiana Duan, Franklin E Leach III, Toshihiko Toida, Kyohei Higashi, Hong Zhang, Fuming Zhang, I Jonathan Amster, Robert J Linhardt, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 139, 16986–16995, 2017.
- Synthetic oligosaccharides can replace animal-sourced low-molecular weight heparins, Y. Xu, K. Chandarajoti, X. Zhang, V. Pagadala, W. Dou, D. M. Hoppensteadt, E. Sparkenbaugh, B. Cooley, S. Daily, N. S. Key, D. Severynse-Stevens, J. Fareed, R. J. Linhardt, R. Pawlinski, J. Liu, Science Translational Medicine, 9, eaan5954, 2017.
- Nanostructured glycan architecture is important in the inhibition of influenza A virus infection, S.-J. Kwon, D. H. Na, J. H. Kwak, M. Douaisi, F. Zhang, E. J. Park, J.-H. Park, H. Youn, C.-S. Song, R. S. Kane, J. S. Dordick, K. B. Lee, R. J. Linhardt, Nature Nanotechnology, 12, 48-56, 2017.
- The US regulatory and pharmacopeia response to the global heparin contamination crisis, A. Y. Szajek, E. Chess, K. Johansen, G. Gratzl, E. Gray, D. Keire, R. J. Linhardt, J. Liu, T. Morris, B. Mulloy, M. Nasr, Z. Shriver, P. Torralba, C. Viskov, R. Williams, J. Woodcock, W. Workman, A. Al-Hakim, Nature Biotechnology, 34, 625–630, 2016.