James P. Zappen
Jim Zappen has research interests in contemporary rhetoric, digital rhetoric, and intercultural education. He recently published The Rebirth of Dialogue and is currently at work on a book on rhetoric and intercultural education.
Jim teaches courses in Rhetoric, Culture, and Technology, Digital Rhetoric and Digital Media, and Introduction to Literature.
Ph.D. University of Missouri
- James P. Zappen, Sui Duan, and Fanruo Zhang. "From Task-Based to Story-Based Language Learning: Teaching Beginning Mandarin through Dramatizations of Chinese Fables." <em>Chinese L2 Theory and Practice: Selected Papers of CLEF 2012</em>. Santa Clara, California: CLERC Publishing, Nan Hai Books, 2013. 98-123.
- "US and Russian Traditions in Rhetoric, Education and Culture." <em>Journal of Curriculum Studies</em> 44.6 (2012): 745-60.
- Zappen, James P. “Kenneth Burke on Dialectical-Rhetorical Transcendence.” <em>Philosophy and Rhetoric</em> 42 (2009): 279-301.
- Zappen, James P. “Digital Rhetoric: Toward an Integrated Theory.” Special Issue: The State of Rhetoric of Science and Technology. Ed. Laura Gurak and Alan Gross. <em>Technical Communication Quarterly</em> 14 (2005): 319-25.
- Zappen, James P. <em>The Rebirth of Dialogue: Bakhtin, Socrates, and the Rhetorical Tradition</em>. Albany: State University of New York Press, 2004.