Professor, Department Head, Chemistry and Chemical Biology
After serving as a postdoctoral associate and then as a National Science Foundation (NSF) Fellow at the Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia, Colón joined the Rensselaer faculty in 1997. He was promoted to associate professor in 2004. Colón’s many honors and awards include the 2010 American Chemical Society Award for Encouraging Disadvantaged Students into Careers in the Chemical Sciences, election as a fellow of the AAAS in 2007, the Rensselaer Early Career Award in 2002, a NSF Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE) in 2001, a NSF faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award in 2000, a Research Corporation Innovation Award in 1999. a American Heart Association Scientist Development Award in 1998, and a New Faculty Award from the Camille And Henry Dreyfus Foundation in 1997.
Ph.D., Chemistry, Texas A&M University, 1993 B.S., Chemistry, University of Puerto Rico at Mayagüez, 1988
- • biological roles of degradation-resistant proteins
- • degradation-resistant proteins in amyloid diseases
- • development and application of methods for the proteomics-level identification of hyper-stable proteins
- Xia, K., Pitelli, S., Church, J. and Colón, W. (2016) Kinetic stability of proteins in beans and peas: Implications for protein digestibility, germination, and adaptation. J. Agric. Food Chem. 64, 7649-7657
- Xia, K., Trasatti, H., Wymer, J.P., and Colón, W. (2016) Increased levels of hyper-stable protein aggregates in plasma of older adults. Age, 38, 1-9.
- Broom, A., Ma, S.M., Xia, K., Rafalia, H., Trainor, K., Colón, W., Gosavi, S and Meiering, E.M. (2015) Designed protein reveals topological complexity as a central determinant of extreme kinetic stability. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 112, 14605-14610
- Aguilera, J., Zhang, F., Beaudet, J.M., Linhardt, R.J. and Colón, W. (2014) Divergent effect of glycosaminoglycans on the in vitro aggregation of Serum Amyloid A. Biochimie, 104, 70-80.
- Srinivasan, S., Patke, S., Wang, Y., Ye, Z., Litt, J., Lopez, M.M., Kane, R.S. and Colón, W (2013) Pathogenic SAA1.1 shows a longer oligomer-rich fibrillation lag phase contrary to the non-pathogenic SAA2.2. J. Biol. Chem.,288, 2744-2755.
- Xia, K, Zhang, S., Bathrick, B., Liu, S., Garcia, Y., and Colon, W. (2012) Quantifying the kinetic stability of hyperstable proteins via time-dependent SDS-trapping. Biochemistry, 51, 100-107.
- Vassall, K.A, Stubbs, H.A., Primmer, H.A., Tong, M.S., Sullivan, S.M,, Sobering, R., Srinivasan, S., Briere, L.K., Dunn, S.D., Colòn, W., and Meiering, E.M. (2011) Decreased stability and increased formation of soluble aggregates by immature SOD1 do not account for disease severity in ALS. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 108, 2210-2215.
- Xia, K., Zhang, S, Solina, B., Barquera, B., and Colón, W. (2010) Do Prokaryotes have more hyperstable proteins than eukaryotic organisms? Biochemistry, 49, 7239-7241.