Associate Professor, Physics, Applied Physics & Astronomy
Ingrid Wilke joined RPI's Department of Physics, Applied Physics & Astronomy as a faculty member in 2002. Prior to her appointment at RPI, she spent seven years as a senior research associate (C1) at the University of Hamburg's (Germany) Institute of Applied Physics. She has done post-doctoral work at both the University of Tokyo's Institute of Industrial Science and at the Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory, Materials and Chemical Science division. Her research areas are: Time-domain Terahertz (THz) spectroscopy, Ultrafast spectroscopy and applications of femtosecond laser pulses.
Ingrid Wilke's primary research focus is experimental terahertz (THz) wave science and technology as well as ultrafast laser applications. Terahertz wave technologies are materials, devices, systems and processes involving THz frequency electromagnetic waves. Terahertz waves are invisible to the human eye. In our solar system, the Sun is a natural source of THz waves. Broadly, THz waves are employed for spectroscopy, imaging and sensing. Her research specifically addresses the development of photonic THz radiation sources detectors and systems. Another specific area of research interest is the response of natural and artificial materials when exposed to THz waves.
Experimental Methods: Time-domain THz-emission measurements, time-domain THz transmission and reflection spectroscopy, phase-sensitive backward wave oscillator based THz-spectroscopy, femtosecond optical transient reflectivity and transmittivity measurements, femtosecond optical four-wave mixing, femtosecond laser nanoprocessing of living cells and fluorescence microscopy.
Materials of interest: Natural inorganic and biological materials, e.g. clay minerals, biological tissue, semiconductors, superconductors, dielectrics, glasses, ceramics, gases.
Habilitation, Physics, University of Hamburg, 2002.
Certificate Higher Education, University of Hamburg (Germany), 2001.
Ph.D., Physics, ETH Zuerich (Switzerland), 1993.
Diploma in Physics, University of Wuerzburg (Germany), 1988.
M. Sc., Physics, State University of New York (SUNY) at Albany, USA, 1986.
Abitur, Rudolf-Koch-Schule, Offenbach am Main (Germany), 1982.
- Terahertz Science and Terahertz Technology
- Ultrafast Laser Applications
- Timothy E Rice, M Arshad Z Chowdhury, M Waleed Mansha, Mona M Hella, Ingrid Wilke, Mathew A Oehlschlaeger: "Halogenated hydrocarbon gas sensing by rotational absorption spectroscopy in the 220-330 GHz frequency range" in Applied Physics B 127, 123 (2021).
- John Rollinson, Mona M Hella, Seyfollah Toroghi, Payam Rabiei, Ingrid Wilke: "Thin-film lithium niobate modulators for non-invasive sensing of high-frequency electric fields" in Journal of the Optical Society B 38 (2), 336-341(2021).
- M Waleed Mansha, Timothy E Rice, Mathew A Oehlschlaeger, Ingrid Wilke, Mona M Hella: "A 220-300 GHz Twin-FET Detector for Rotational Spectroscopy of Gas Mixtures" in IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 21, no. 4, 4553-4562 (2021).
- Timothy E Rice, M Arshad Z Chowdhury, M Waleed Mansha, Mona M Hella, Ingrid Wilke, Mathew A Oehlschlaeger: "VOC Gas Sensing Via Microelectronics-Based Absorption Spectroscopy at 220–330 GHz" in Applied Physics B 126 (9), 1-12 (2020).
- Aniket Tekawade, Timothy E Rice, Matthew A Oehlschlaeger, Muhammad Waleed Mansha, Kefei Wu, Mona M Hella, Ingrid Wilke: "Towards realization of quantitative atmospheric and industrial gas sensing using THz wave electronics" in Applied Physics B 124 (6), 1-7 (2018).
- Alan Fernando Ney Boss, Hudson de Araujo Batista, Ana Cristina Figueiredo de Melos Costa, Antonio Carlos da Cunha Migliano, Ingrid Wilke: "Cobalt-Based Ferrites Characterization Using Two Different Terahertz Time-Domain Spectrometers" in Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves (2018).
- Ingrid Wilke: " Terahertz Spectroscopy Applications" in Lindon, J. C., Tranter, G. E., and Koppenaal, D. W. (eds) The Encyclopedia of Spectroscopy and Spectrometry, 3rd edition, vol.4, pp. 427-431. Oxford:Academic Press (2017).
- Alan F. Ney Boss, A. C. da Cunha Migliano, Ingrid Wilke: " Copper Cobalt Magnetic Ceramic Materials Characterization at Terahertz Frequencies" in Journal of Aerospace Technology and Management vol. 9, no.2, 241 (2017).