Lecturer, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Elshafee is a Lecturer in Civil and Environmental Engineering since 2016. He earned his M.S. and Ph.D. degrees from RPI in 2011 and 2016, respectively. Dr. Elshafee's primary research interests are centrifuge modeling, soil-structure interaction, soil dynamics, and numerical modelling. The centrifuge experiments, supplemented by high-quality reliable measurements, have been used to develop or calibrate new design or retrofit engineering methods. He is a reviewer for technical journals, including Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Journal, Soils and Foundations Journal, and others. He is currently serving as a faculty senator representing contingent faculty. He served as the course coordinator for Strength of Materials numerous times. Also, he is the RPI Geowall team faculty adviser which recently won the national competition held in Minneapolis (February 2020).
He has a strong teaching background he believes that teaching is like tailoring a suit for a customer which is the student. He is currently teaching core classes like Intro to Engineering Analysis, Strength of materials where he served as the course coordinator (2017 – Present), and Intro to Engineering Design. Also, he taught in Egypt for 2.5 years where he was responsible for an elective course and mentoring undergrad thesis of geotechnical major students.
Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2016
Master of Science, Civil Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2011
Bachelor's Degree, Civil Engineering, Alexandria University (Egypt), 2007
- 1- El-Shafee O., Lawler J., Abdoun T. (2019) “Evaluation of RPI Centrifuge 2D Shaker and Biaxial Soil Response” Journal of Geotechnical and Transportation Engineering, 5, No. 1, 18-30.
- 2- El-Shafee O., Abdoun T., Zeghal M. (2018) “Physical modeling and analysis of site liquefaction subjected to biaxial dynamic excitations”, Innovative Infrastructure Solutions Journal (IISS), 3, No. 1, DOI 10.1007/s41062-017-0103-6.
- 3- Zeghal M., El-Shafee O., Abdoun T. (2018) “Analysis of soil liquefaction using centrifuge tests of a site subjected to biaxial shaking”, J. Soil Dynamics & Earthquake Engrg, 114, 229-241. DOI:10.1016/j.soildyn.2018.07.021.
- 4- El-Shafee O., Abdoun T., Zeghal M. (2016) “Centrifuge modeling and analysis of site liquefaction subjected to biaxial dynamic excitations”, Geotechnique, 67, No. 3, 260-271. DOI:10.1680/jgeot.16.P.049.
- 5- El-Shafee O., Zeghal M., Abdoun T. (2020) “Numerical analysis of soil liquefaction using centrifuge tests of a level site subjected to biaxial shaking”, GeoCongress 2020. Vol.1, p 69-78.
- 6- El-Shafee O., Abdoun T., Zeghal M. (2019) “Physical modeling and analysis of level site liquefaction subjected to biaxial dynamic excitation”, GeoCongress 2019, Vol.4, p 395-404.
- 7- El-Shafee O., Lawler J., Abdoun T. (2018) “Centrifuge modelling of site response and liquefaction using a 2D laminar box and biaxial dynamic base excitation” 9th International Conference on Physical Modelling in Geotechnics. Vol. 2, p 943-948.
- 8- El-Shafee O., Abdoun T., Zeghal M. (2017) “Centrifuge modeling and analysis of soil structure interaction under biaxial dynamic excitation”, Geotechnical Frontiers 2017, p 37-47.