Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering
Ryan Gilbert received an undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan – Ann Arbor in Chemical Engineering (High Honors) in 1997. He then received a Ph.D. degree in 2006 in Biomedical Engineering from Case Western Reserve University for his contributions in discovering specific chondroitin sulfate glycosaminoglycans responsible for inhibiting axonal regeneration. Currently, Dr. Gilbert’s laboratory is focused on developing biomaterials for cancer and central nervous system applications.
Ph.D., Case Western Reserve University Biomedical Engineering B.S.E., University of Michigan – Ann Arbor Chemical Engineering
- Abigail Koppes, Nicholas Zaccor, Christopher Rivet, Laura Williams, Jennifer Piselli, Ryan Gilbert and Deanna Thompson, “Neurite outgrowth on electrospun PLLA fibers is enhanced by exogenous electrical stimulation” Journal of Neural Engineering. In Press. 2014
- Jonathan M Zuidema, María C Hyzinski-García, Kristien Van Vlasselaer, Nicholas W Zaccor, George E Plopper, Alexander A Mongin, Ryan J Gilbert, “Enhanced GLT-1 mediated glutamate uptake and migration of primary astrocytes directed by fibronectin-coated electrospun poly-l-lactic acid fibers,” Biomaterials, 35(5): 1439-1449. 2014.
- Christopher J Rivet, Yuan Yuan, Ryan J Gilbert, Diana-Andra Borca-Tasciuc, “Effect of magnetic nanoparticle heating on cortical neuron viability,” International Journal of Hyperthermia, 30(2): 79-85. 2014.
- Christopher A McKay, Rebecca D Pomrenke, Joshua S McLane, Nicholas J Schaub, Elise K DeSimone, Lee A Ligon, Ryan J Gilbert, “An Injectable, Calcium Responsive Composite Hydrogel for the Treatment of Acute Spinal Cord Injury,” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 6(3): 1424-1438. 2014.
- Jonathan M Zuidema, Christopher J Rivet, Ryan J Gilbert, Faith A Morrison, “A protocol for rheological characterization of hydrogels for tissue engineering strategies,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, In Press. 2014.
- Nicholas J Schaub, Tara Britton, Rupak Rajachar, Ryan J Gilbert, “Engineered Nanotopography on Electrospun PLLA Microfiberrs Modifies RAW 264.7 Cell Response,” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces. 5(20): 10173-10184. 2013.
- Christopher A McKay and Ryan J Gilbert, “Design of hydrogel biomaterial interfaces for the injured spinal cord,” Surface Innovations, 2(1): 26-46. 2013.
- Nicholas J Schaub, Sean J Kirkpatrick, Ryan J Gilbert, “Automated methods to determine electrospun fiber alignment and diameter using the radon transform,” BioNanoScience, 3(3):329-342. 2013.