Lecturer, Earth and Environmental Sciences
My research takes an interdisciplinary approach to understanding biogeochemical cycling within lacustrine systems by combining limnology, aquatic chemistry, isotope biogeochemistry, sedimentology and geomicrobiology. Particularly, I am interested in investigating linkages between seasons, greenhouse gases, and climate change in lakes. Currently, I am focused on a series of lakes on the ice-free margin of Greenland which is experiencing rapid geomorphic changes as the ice is retreating. Despite close proximity, lakes in this region have remarkable variations in aquatic chemistry. As a result, there are significant variations in microbial communities, redox conditions and methane dynamics. Results from this work can be used to improve and inform climate models. Additionally, since these lakes are ice-covered the majority of the year, the biogeochemistry of water and ice is being used as an analog for exploration of planetary lakes or oceans.
I spend the majority of my time focused on geoscience education, particularly working to increase quantitative reasoning in the classroom.
PhD in Geological Sciences, Indiana University, 2015 MS in Geology, University of Tennessee, 2011 BA in Geology, Mount Holyoke College, 2008
- Geoscience Education
- Young, S.A., Cadieux, S.B., Peng, Y., White, J.R., and Pratt, L.M., 2018, Seasonal changes in sulfur biogeochemistry of a dilute, dimictic Arctic lake: Implications for paired sulfur isotope records from ancient oceans. Chemical Geology.
- Cadieux, S. B., White, J. R., Pratt, L. M., 2017, Exceptional summer warming leads to contrasting outcomes for methane cycling in small Arctic lakes of Greenland. Biogeosciences 14, 559-574, doi:10.5194/bg-14-559-2017.
- Cadieux, S. B., White, J. R., Sauer, P. E., Peng, Y., Goldman, A. E., Pratt, L. M., 2016, Large fractionations of C and H isotopes related to methane oxidation in Arctic lakes. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 187, 141-155.
- Schüette, U. M. E., Cadieux, S. B., Hemmerich, C., Pratt, L. M., White, J. R., 2016, Unanticipated geochemical and microbial community structure under seasonal ice cover in a dilute, dimictic Arctic lake. Frontiers in Microbiology 7, doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.01035.
- Chen, Y., Lehmann, K. K., Peng, Y., Pratt, L. M., White, J. R., Cadieux, S. B., Sherwood Lollar, B., Lacrampe-Couloume, G., Onstott, T. C., 2016, Hydrogen isotopic composition of Arctic and atmospheric CH4 determined by a portable near-IR cavity ring-down spectrometer with a cryogenic pre-concentrator. Astrobiology, 16(10), 787-797, doi: 10.1089/ast.2015.1395.
- Saxton, M. A., Samarin, V. A., Schutte, C. A., Bowles, M. W., Madigan, M. T., Cadieux, S. B., Pratt, L. M., Joye, S. B., 2016, Biogeochemical and 16S rRNA gene sequence evidence supports a novel mode of anaerobic methanotrophy in permanently ice-covered Lake Fryxell, Antarctica. Limnology and Oceanography, 61(S1), 119-130, doi:10.1002/lno.10320.
- Goldman, A. E., Cadieux, S. B., White, J. R., Pratt, L. M., 2016, Passive sampling method for high-resolution concentration and isotopic composition of dissolved methane in Arctic Lakes. Limnology and Oceanography-Methods 14, 69-78.
- Colcord, D., Cadieux, S. B., Brassell, S. C., Castaneda, I. S., Pratt, L. M., White, J. R., 2015, Assessment of branched GDGTs as temperature proxies in sedimentary records from several small lakes in southwestern Greenland. Organic Geochemistry 82, 33-41.