Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Shun Uchida joined our Geotechnical Group in 2014 as Assistant Professor. He completed his undergraduate study at Waseda University, Japan, in 2006. He received MPhil (2008) and PhD (2013) at Cambridge University, UK, followed by postdoctoral research at Technion – Israel Institute of Technology.
His expertise is geotechnical numerical analysis, especially in the fields of multiphysics problems such as energy geotechnics, computational geomechanics and environmental geotechnics. His current research interests are geomechanical behavior of methane hydrate-bearing sediments, seismic-induced submarine landslides and thermo-hydro-chemo-mechanical modeling of contaminant barrier system.
PhD and MPhil in Engineering, University of Cambridge (UK), B.Eng in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Waseda University (Japan)
- Geotechnical engineering
- Energy Geotechnics
- Environmental Geotechnics
- Uchida, S., Lin, J.-S., Myshakin, E.M., Seol, Y. and Boswell, R. (2019). Numerical simulations of sand migration during gas production in hydrate-bearing sands interbedded with thin mud layers at site NGHP-02-16. Marine and Petroleum Geology 108, 639-647.
- Uchida, S., Xie, X.-G. and Leung, Y.F. (2016). Role of critical state framework in understanding geomechanical behavior of methane hydrate-bearing sediments. Journal of Geophysical Research 121(8), 5580-5595.
- Uchida, S., Klar, A. and Yamamoto, K. (2016). Sand production model in gas hydrate-bearing sediments. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 86, 303-316.
- Uchida, S., Levenberg, E. and Klar, A. (2015). On-specimen strain measurement with fiber optic distributed sensing. Measurement 60, 104-113.
- Uchida, S., Soga, K., Klar, A. and Yamamoto, K. (2012). Geomechanical study of the Mallik methane gas production field trials. Bulletin of the Geological Survey Canada 601, 191-204.
- Uchida, S., Soga, K. and Yamamoto, K. (2012). Critical state soil constitutive model for methane hydrate soil. Journal of Geophysical Research 117(B3), B03209.