Thomas D. Shohfi
Assistant Professor of Finance and Accounting, Lally School of Management
Tom Shohfi is an assistant professor of accounting and finance at the Lally School of Management at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Before his current role, he was a co-founder of SmicroCaps, Inc. and a senior analyst focused on the technology, media and telecom (TMT) sector. In 2001, he co-founded Empowering Media, an information technology services firm with hundreds of SMB clients. Later, he was an integral leader in developing the software and infrastructure behind the growth of Did-It Search Marketing, a member of Deloitte's Technology Fast 500. Prior to founding SmicroCaps, Tom worked as a summer Research Associate in the enterprise software group at Banc of America Securities.
Tom served as an assistant adjunct professor for the undergraduate Applied Investment Management class at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s Kenan-Flagler Business School. He was also a member of the board of advisors for UNC Chapel Hill's BSBA and MBA Applied Investment Management funds. Prior to joining Lally, Tom was a research assistant and teaching fellow at the Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business at the University of Pittsburgh.
Mr. Shohfi was a Dean's scholar at New York University and earned a BA in computer science and mathematics from that institution. He also received his MBA from Kenan-Flagler Business School at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and holds the Chartered Financial Analyst, Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst, and Financial Risk Manager designations. He was awarded a doctorate in financial economics from the University of Pittsburgh in 2015.
Tom’s research interests include corporate credit markets and financial analyst behavior. His research has been featured in journals including Financial Management, the Journal of Banking & Finance, the Journal of Small Business Management and Managerial Finance as well as presented at the annual meetings of the American Accounting Association, Financial Management Association, Northern Finance Association, Eastern Finance Association, Southern Finance Association, Southwestern Finance Association, Midwest Finance Association, China International Conference in Finance, and the Academy of Behavioral Finance and Economics. He has also presented his work at industry leading investment management firms including Citadel, BlackRock, and T. Rowe Price.
Tom grew up on Long Island and is very glad to be back in New York. He enjoys playing basketball, suffering through football season with the Jets, and fine dining (both in and out) with his wife Courtenay.
Chartered Financial Analyst Designation, 2011
Chartered Alternative Investment Analyst Designation, 2018
Financial Risk Manager Designation, 2019
- Analyst Behavior
- Corporate Credit Markets
- Corporate Governance
- Institutional Investors
- Investor Behavior
- Angels or Sharks? The Role of Personal Characteristics in Angel Investment Decisions, Journal of Small Business Management (available at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2886855)
- Bank Loan Renegotiation and Credit Default Swaps, Journal of Banking & Finance (available at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3053337)
- Bulk Volume Classification and Information Detection, Journal of Banking & Finance (available at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2503628)
- The Dark Side of Individual Blockholder Philanthropy, Financial Management (available at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2874060)
- RPI’s James Fund: ETFs, Decision Making, and Manager Transitions, Managerial Finance (available at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3255155)
- Gender and Earnings Conference Calls (available at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3473266)
- Investor Awareness or Information Asymmetry? Wikipedia and IPO Underpricing (available at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2908624)
- Sell-Side Analyst Reports and Hedge Fund Activism (available at https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3223333)