Professor, Materials Science and Engineering
Dr. Shi received his Ph.D. degree in Materials Science from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, in 2006. Prior to joining Rensselaer, he spent two years in North Carolina State University as a Postdoctoral Research Associate. Dr. Shi aims to understand complex material behaviors and design better materials using simulation and modeling. His research include many material systems: metallic/silica/polymeric glasses/composites, nanostructured carbon, on material behaviors such as fracture, self-assembly, wetting and friction/wear. He was selected as one of the inaugural Gordon S. Fulcher Distinguished Researchers by Corning Inc, where he spent sabbatical in 2015.
Ph.D. Materials Science and Engineering (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2006) M.S. Materials Science and Engineering (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL, 2002) B.S. Materials Science and Engineering (Tsinghua University, Beijing, China, 2000)
- Computational Modeling
- Y. M. Zhang, L. P. Huang,* Y. F. Shi*, “Towards damage resistant Al2O3–SiO2 glasses with structural and chemical heterogeneities through consolidation of glassy nanoparticles”, Acta Materialia, 2021 (in press).
- Y. M. Zhang, L. P. Huang, Y. F. Shi*, “Design Ductile and Work-Hardenable Composites with All Brittle Constituents”, 208, 116770, Acta Materialia (2021),
- P. Hundekar, S. Basu, X. Fan, L. Li, A. Yoshimura, T. Gupta, V. Sarbada, A. Lakhnot, R. Jain, S. Narayanan, Y. Shi, N. Koratkar, “In situ healing of dendrites in a potassium metal battery”, Proc. Natl. Aca. Sci. 117, 11, 5588-5594 (2020).
- Y. M. Zhang, L. P. Huang, Y. F. Shi*, “Silica Glass Toughened by Consolidation of Glassy Nanoparticles”, Nano Letters, 19, 5222-5228 (2019). (In the news: https://phys.org/news/2019-09-ductile-glass.html)
- J. Jiang, X. Sun, X. Chen, B. Wang, Z. Chen, Y. Hu, Y. Guo, L. Zhang, Y. Ma, L. Gao, F. S. Zheng, L. Jin, M. Chen, Z. W. Ma, Y. Y. Zhou, N. P. Padture, K. Beach, H. Terrones, Y. F. Shi, D. Gall, T. M. Lu, E. Wertz, J. Feng, J. Shi, “Carrier lifetime enhancement in halide perovskite via remote epitaxy”, Nature Communications, 10, 4145, 1-12 (2019).
- L. Li, S. Basu, Y. P. Wang, Z. Z. Chen, P. Hundekar, B. W. Wang, J. Shi, Y. F. Shi, S. Narayanan, N. Koratkar, “Self-heating–induced healing of lithium dendrites”, Science, 359 (6383) 1513-1516 (2018).
- R. Ranganathan, Y. F. Shi, P. Keblinski, “Frequency-dependent mechanical damping in alloys”, Phys. Rev. B, 95, 214112 (2017).
- Y. F. Shi*, “Size-dependent mechanical responses of metallic glasses”, International Materials Review, 64, 163-180 (2018).