M.V. Shyam Kumar
Associate Professor, Director of the MBA and M.S. Programs, Lally School of Management
Professor Shyam Kumar’s research examines how firms draw their boundaries and manage their product and market scope through actions such as corporate diversification, alliances, and acquisitions. In addition, he also studies how strategy and financial markets interact to collectively shape decision-making in the areas of innovation and entrepreneurship. His work has appeared in leading journals and book volumes including Advances in Mergers and Acquisitions, Advances in Strategic Management, Business and Society, Computational and Mathematical Organizational Theory, Journal of Cultural Economics, Organization Science, Strategic Management Journal, and Managerial and Decision Economics, among others.
Kumar has won wide recognition for his teaching, and was voted “Outstanding Professor” by graduating Lally master’s students at Rensselaer for successive years in 2011, 2012, and 2013. He was previously a Zicklin fellow and his dissertation research was sponsored by the prestigious Richard Irwin Award. He currently serves as an editorial review board member for the Strategic Management Journal.
Kumar’s industry experience is in steel, where he worked in the area of strategy and international business with Tata Steel, India’s blue chip corporate. He has also consulted with the New York Press Association on revitalizing the news industry in the age of digital disruption.
Kumar is currently the Lawrence Fellow of Professional Excellence and the academic director of the MBA program at Lally. He enjoys playing golf, listening to music, and working across disciplines to pursue research ideas.
Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; MBA, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore; B.Tech, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi
- Corporate Strategy
- Technology Strategy
- Disruptive Innovation
- Acquisitions and Alliances
- Managing Multi-Business Firms
- Choi, B-C., Kumar, M.V.S., and Zambuto, F. Capital Structure and Innovation Trajectory: The Role of Debt in Balancing Exploration and Exploitation. Forthcoming, Organization Science.
- Francis, B., Harper, P., and Kumar, M.V.S. The Impact of Corporate Social Responsibility on Bank Loans. Forthcoming, Business and Society.
- Kumar, M.V.S., Dixit, J., and Francis B. 2015. The Impact of Prior Market Reactions on Risk Taking in Acquisitions. Strategic Management Journal, 36: 2111-2121.
- Kumar, M.V.S. 2013. The Costs of Related Diversification: The Effect of the Core Business on the Productivity of Related Segments. Organization Science, 24: 1827-1846.
- Kumar, M.V.S. 2011. Are Joint Ventures Positive Sum Games? The Relative Effects of Cooperative and Non Cooperative Behavior. Strategic Management Journal, 32: 32-54.
- Kumar, M.V.S. 2010. Differential Gains Between Partners in Joint Ventures: The Role of Resource Appropriation and Private Benefits. Organization Science, 21: 232-248.
- Kumar, M.V.S. 2009. The Relationship Between Product and International Diversification: The Effects of Short Run Constraints and Endogeneity. Strategic Management Journal, 30: 99-116.
- Kumar, M.V.S. 2005. The Value from Acquiring and Divesting a Joint Venture: A Real Options Approach. Strategic Management Journal, 26: 321-331.