Associate Professor, Mechanical, Aerospace and Nuclear Engineering
Professor Sandipan Mishra joined RPI’s faculty in the Mechanical, Aerospace, and Nuclear Engineering Department in Fall 2010, and was promoted to Associate Professor with tenure in 2016. He was a member of the 2010 Japan MEXT-NSF Young investigator exchange program for nanomanufacturing and the recipient of the NSF Early CAREER award in 2013 on additive manufacturing. His research interests are in the area of systems and control theory, learning control, nonlinear estimation, and precision mechatronics, as applied to additive manufacturing, unmanned aerial vehicles and smart buildings. He is the PI of the Intelligent Systems Automation and Control laboratory, which is supported by grants from government agencies including NSF, ONR, ARL, and DoE, along with industrial partners including Aria Acoustics, Hewlett Packard Labs, Sikorsky, Mathworks Inc., National Instruments, Simmetrix, and Self Array Inc.
Professor Mishra's teaching portfolio includes Systems Analysis Techniques, Feedforward and Learning Algorithms, Advanced Manufacturing Systems and Processes, Mechatronics, Modeling and Control of Dynamical Systems, and Introduction to Engineering Analysis.
Professor Mishra was the recipient of the 2019 Outstanding Young Investigator Award from ASME's Dynamical Systems and Control Division. At RPI, he received the James M. Tien ‘66 Early Career Award in 2019, the Class of 1951 Teaching Award in 2015, the School of Engineering Education Innovation Award in 2017 and the School of Engineering Research Team Award in 2017.
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering University of California Berkeley, 2008
- Dynamic Systems and Control
- Precision Mechatronics
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Energy Efficient Buildings
- A. Shkoruta*, S. Mishra, S. Rock, “Real-Time Image-Based Feedback Control of Laser Powder Bed Fusion”, ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Letters, available online July 2021, vol. 2, (to appear in print April 2022).
- U. Inyong-Udoh*, Y. Guo*, J. Peters*, S. Mishra, T. Oomen, “Layer-to-layer Predictive Control of Ink-jet 3D printing”, IEEE/ASME Trans. On Mechatronics, 25 (4), pp. 1783-1793, 2020.
- L. Repolho-Cagliari*, J. Hicken, S. Mishra, “Using the LSS Adjoint for Simultaneous Plant and Control Optimization of Chaotic Dynamical Systems”, Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, available online July 2021, 1-16, 2021.
- D. Zhao*, S. Mishra, F. Gandhi, “A Differential Flatness-Based Approach for Autonomous Helicopter Shipboard Landing”, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, doi: 10.1109/TMECH.2021.3085696, available online June 2021.
- Y. Guo*, S. Mishra, “Mixed Norm Cost Functions for Constrained Optimal Iterative Learning Control”, IFAC Mechatronics, vol. 43, page(s) 56-65, 2017.
- M. Minakais*, S. Mishra, J.T. Wen, “Database-driven iterative learning for building temperature control”, IEEE Trans. on Automation Science and Engineering, 16 (4), 1896-1906, 2019.
- C.C. Okaeme*, S. Mishra, J.T. Wen, “Passivity-based thermohygrometric control in buildings”, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 26 (5), 1661-1672, 2018.
- M. Toufiq Imam*, S. Afshari**, S. Mishra, "An Experimental Survey of Feedback Control Methodologies for Advanced Lighting Systems", Energy and Buildings, vol. 130, page(s) 600-612, 2016.