Dr. Sebastian Souyris is a tenure-track assistant professor of supply chain and analytics, holding the Dean R. Wellington ’83 Teaching Professorship in Management at the Lally School of Management. Dr. Souyris obtained his Ph.D. in information, risk, and operations management from The University of Texas at Austin in 2019. He joined Lally in 2022 from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, where he was a visiting assistant professor at Gies College of Business. In addition, he obtained an M.Phil. in operations management from New York University, and a bachelor’s (industrial engineering) and master’s (operations management) degree from the University of Chile.
Dr. Souyris’ research broadly addresses issues related to the challenges and the means of achieving environmental and human sustainability from an operations management perspective, combining data-driven optimization, machine learning and econometrics. His work includes applying decomposition and constraint programming methods to optimize dispatching decisions (in the European Journal of Operations Research) and robust optimization-based decision modeling under uncertainty in service times (in Optimization Letters). Moreover, his work in applying operations research tools in soccer leagues (in the INFORMS Journal on Applied Analytics) was a finalist for the prestigious Franz Edelman Award. At the same time, a second paper in the same journal was a finalist for the EURO Excellence in Practice Award. He also received the 2022 INFORMS Revenue Management and Pricing Practice Award for his paper “Scheduling Advertising on Cable Television” (in Operations Research).
- Ph.D. in Information, Risk, and Operations Management, The University of Texas at Austin
- M.Phil. in Operations Management, New York University
- M.S. in Operations Management, University of Chile
- B.S. in Industrial Engineering, University of Chile
Thursdays 12:00 - 13:00 pm
Foundations of Data Science, MGMT 6100 (Spring 2023)
Foundations of Data Science, MGMT 6100 (Fall 2022)
- First prize INFORMS Revenue Management and Pricing Section Practice Award 2022.
- Named Dean R. Wellington ’83 Teaching Professorship in Management, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2022.
- Second place Global BIGGIES Awards, Excellence in the Use of Predictive Analytics for Log Optimization solution, 2018.
- INFORMS Franz Edelman Laureate 2016.
- Dissertation Writing Fellowship, The University of Texas at Austin, Graduate School, 2016.
- Fellowship for Graduate Studies, The University of Texas at Austin, McCombs School of Business, 2010-2015.
- Doctor Cooper Fellowship for Strong Doctoral Student Research, The University of Texas at Austin, McCombs School of Business, 2011.
- Finalist EURO Excellence in Practice Award 2009.
- Fellowship Graduate Studies, New York University, Stern School of Business, 2007-2008.
- Chilean government fellowship, Conicyt (declined), 2007.
- Souyris, S., S. Seshadri, and S. Subramanian (2023) Scheduling Advertisements on Cable Television. Operations Research, 0(0). INFORMS RM&P Section Practice Award 2022, First prize.
- Souyris, S., S. Hao, S. Bose, A.C. England III, A. Ivanov, U. K. Mukherjee, and S. Seshadri (2022) Detecting and mitigating simultaneous waves of COVID-19 infections. Nature Scientific Reports, 12, 16727.
- Mukherjee, U. K., S. Bose, A. Ivanov, S. Seshadri, S. Souyris, P. Sridhar, R. Watkins, and Y. Xu (2021) Evaluation of reopening strategies for educational institutions during COVID-19 through agent based simulation. Nature Scientific Reports, 11, 6264.
- Bose, S., S. Souyris, A. Ivanov, U. Mukherjee, S. Seshadri, and Y. Xu (2021) Control of Epidemic Spreads via Testing and Lock-Down. 60th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), pp. 4272-4279.
- Alarcón, D. Saure, A. Weintraub, R. Wolf-Yadlin, G. Zamorano, L. Ramírez, G. Durán, M. Guajardo, J. Miranda, M. Ramírez, M. Siebert, and S. Souyris (2017). Operations Research Transforms Scheduling of Chilean Soccer Leagues and South American World Cup Qualifiers. INFORMS Journal on Applied Analytics, 47: 52–69. INFORMS Franz Edelman Award 2016, Finalist.
- Cortés, C. E., M. Gendreau, L. M. Rousseau, S. Souyris, and A. Weintraub (2014) Branch-and-Price and Constraint Programming for Solving a Real-Life Technician Dispatching Problem. European Journal of Operational Research, 238 (1): 300–312.
- Souyris, S., C. E. Cortés, F. Ordoñez, and A. Weintraub (2013) A Robust Optimization Approach to Dispatching Technicians under Stochastic Service Times. Optimization Letters, 7: 1549–1568.
- Durán, G., M. Guajardo, J. Miranda, D. Sauré, S. Souyris, A. Weintraub, and R. Wolf (2007) Scheduling the Chilean Soccer League by Integer Programming. INFORMS Journal on Applied Analytics, 37 (6): 539–552. EURO Excellence in Practice Award 2009, Finalist.
- Noronha, T. F., C. C. Ribeiro, G. Durán, S. Souyris, and A. Weintraub (2007) A Branch-and-Cut Algorithm for Scheduling the Highly-Constrained Chilean Soccer Tournament. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 3867:174–186.
- Souyris, S., J. Duan, A. Balakrishnan, V. Rai. Diffusion of Residential Solar Power Systems: A Dynamic Discrete Choice Approach. Submitted. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=4301666.
- Ivanov, A., Z. Tacheva, S. Souyris, A. Alzaidan, S. Seshadri, and A. C. III England. Informational Value of Visual Nudges During Crises: Improving Public Health Outcomes Through Social Media Engagement Amid Covid-19. Major revision.
- Hao, S., Y. Xu , U. K. Mukherjee, S. Souyris, S. Seshadri, A. Ivanov, M. E. Ahsen. Hotspots for Emerging Epidemics: Multi-Task and Transfer Learning over Mobility Networks. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3858274.
- Ivanov, A., S. Bose, S. Hao, U. K. Mukherjee, S. Seshadri, R. Watkins, A. C. III England, S. Souyris, M. E. Ahsen, J. Suriano. COVID-19 Test-to-Stay Program for K-12 Schools: Opt-In Versus Opt-Out Policies.
- Souyris, S., and J. Miranda. Scheduling Shows on Broadcast Television.
The following is a selection of recent publications in Scopus. Sebastian Souyris has 10 indexed publications in the subjects of Business, Management and Accounting, Mathematics, and Decision Sciences.